Friday, May 4, 2018

Why Is Talking About Money Taboo?

   If we would talk about the particulars of how we make, manage, spend, and save our money with each other, maybe we'd all be better at it. I've never understood why personal finances aren't discussed openly. The topic is super interesting, vital to our ongoing economic success, & applicable to all of us; but it's essentially considered rude to bring it up.
I probably spent too much on this halloween costume for my dog.
#WorthIt  Shark Costume for Dogs

   I intend to post an itemized list of exactly how much money we spent on our van conversion, including the purchase price of the van itself. Other bloggers who've published data like this helped me along the way, and I'd like the information to be public to help someone else with dreams of a van fort someday.

 
 
   Furthermore, I read several personal finance blogs wherein the author completely discloses their income, spending, bills, investments, etc. Analyzing another person's financial life in this manner has helped broaden my perspective on my own finances. I'm not sure that I'll ever be brave enough to post so openly about my own situation and choices, but even just considering it changes the way I think about money. Would you consider posting your financial situation for anyone to see? It's daunting. I'm not sure if it's a good idea. But I sure like reading about it when other people do it.

   My favorite blog of this type is The Frugalwoods. They disclose monthly spending only, not income, but seeing how they choose to employ their money has taught me a lot over the years. For instance, I no longer pay for haircuts. The Frugalwoods cut each other's hair, and I thought that was awesome. For a while, Dextre cut my hair for me. Now I cut it myself. Is the back always perfect? Certainly not. I can't see the back of my own head anyway, so I figure that's not my problem!


 Circus-ing for the first time with short hair!

   Roughly half of American's can't cover a $400 emergency. Most of us live paycheck to paycheck. 60% of us can't cover a $1000 emergency. Predatory loan businesses know this and take advantage of us. So we definitely need to talk about money.

   I intend to write about many subjects with this blog, one of them will be personal finance because I'm so passionate about it. If there are any topics you'd like me to post about, please let me know in the comments section below.

   If you'd like to support this blog, you can do that by clicking through any of my Amazon links to get to the Amazon site. Circus Stella will receive a small kickback on anything you buy at absolutely no cost to you. Or if you'd like a free trial of AmazonFreshKindle Unlimited, or even Amazon Prime, please remember to use our links! Thank you friends.

Stella obliges a photoshoot mid-walk.
   You don't have to buy the item in our link, just make your regular purchase and voila! Awesome, right? To make this more interesting, I'll post the blog's earnings periodically so we can all see how it works. Rad!

   Again, you don't have to buy the item our link goes to... but you might want to because I may or may not have found some hilariously random stuff just now. ;)

Or you could use this boring link instead: Amazon

   I use Personal Capital to track my income, expenses, and net worth. Useful to see all account one one page. It's free to use and this is my personal referral link. Theoretically, we each get $20 if you decide to use it. Cheers!

Want to be our internet friends? Here ya go! 


Join our Super Rad Mailing List  

Have a great day everybody, and if you have any thoughts you'd like to 
share, please hit me up in the comments. Thanks!
Rozi, always leading me.




Disclosure; This blog is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree! I really wish money wasn't such a taboo topic. How else do companies get away with paying employees such varying amounts for the same job and same skill set?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I think we'd all be in stronger positions financially if it weren't frowned upon to pursue open discussions.

      Delete