Tuesday, August 21, 2018

I quit wearing make up. This is what happened.

I've never been good at make up. It's a skill I don't have. Professionally, I often hid behind face paint because it was easier. Most people reading this will know I work in circus, so face paint is a viable choice, but if you didn't know that, Hey! I'm Jana, I work in the circus. :)

Face paint, ice rink themed! Photo by Ron Tencati.
The more paint on my face, the less confident I felt that day. The reverse is also true, the less I make myself up, the better I feel.

Before I go any further, let me say this. If you love make up, if it's fun for you, if it's your art, if you enjoy expressing yourself with make up, awesome! I think that's terrific. You do you and I'm all about it. I think you're gorgeous and I'm in awe of your skill. Seriously, you're killin' it.

But for me, makeup is not something I enjoy. It's a chore and it I don't like how it feels on my face. I struggle to keep from wiping it off the whole time I'm wearing it, particularly eye make up. The first thing I gave up was eyeliner/mascara and I swear it was life changing. All of a sudden, my eyes were comfortable!

Some of you are thinking, well of course Jana, cheap make up would feel terrible on your face. But I did the thing guys! I went to Sephora, I scoured the internet, I had professionals choose products for me and I still hated the way they felt.

We indoctrinate young girls with toy make up products from toddlerhood onward. I remember begging for these when I was little.

My kid self would have LOVED this!
From an early age make up is a prized possession to be hoarded. As a kid, putting on toy make up meant feeling special. Putting on *real* make up meant something special was definitely afoot...a dance recital, competition day when I was a gymnast, something good.

I'm not sure when make up transitioned from a fun activity to a necessary, expensive burden. It happened slowly and took a while to realize.

Here's a video I made, with no make up, even though I felt like I should probably put on make up to film a video. I'm still getting used to my new found make up free life.



If that was the first time you've heard of trichotillomania, stay tuned, I plan to write more extensively about it soon. I've had it as long as I can remember, and it's caused a lot of stress and shame over the years. I'm finally beginning to just accept that it's part of me and that's okay, so if I can help anyone with that disorder, I want to.

Here are the four products I continue to use somewhat regularly, because I spend so much time outdoors. Sunscreen is a necessary evil.

* Lubriderm Daily Moisture Lotion SPF 15

* Make Up Forever Ultra HD Foundation (mixed with the lotion to tint it)

* Sephora "Blush Me" in the color "Crazed and Confused" which I find appropriate!

* Shiseido Powder Broad Spectrum SPF 30

Do you have a recommendation for a good sunscreen that's weightless and not oily? Please let me know. I would love a better sunscreen. I've never found one I like. Leave your recs in the comments!

Right now I'm enjoying my mostly-make-up-free life quite a lot. However, I reserve the right to change my mind. So if you come to the show one day and I've got eyeliner out to my ears, know that it's because I truly felt like doing it up that day! And if you see my minimal look, know that I felt like having a naked face and that's okay too!

I hope you do whatever you feel like doing, and stop worrying about other people's opinions or expectations. You're awesome just the way you are!

Check out the one make up product I'm still *always* going to want in my kit...mystery product...and remember, if you use my link to get to amazon for your purchases, Circus Stella will get a small commission of whatever you buy, even if it isn't this. Or if you'd like a free trial of AmazonFreshKindle Unlimited, or even Amazon Prime, please remember to use our links! Thank you friends.

Mabel rocking some eyebrow pencil realness.
Keep in touch with Circus Stella;  YoutubeInstagramFacebook, & Twitter.


Disclosure; This blog is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com


20 comments:

  1. Get Australian Gold Tinted Mineral Sunscreen. SPF 50, mineral sunscreen so it won't burn your eyes, tinted to mask the white cast, and dries down to a matte finish. I wear it every single day and have recommended it to many others!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds wonderful, I will look it up right away. Thank you for taking the time to let me know, I appreciate it!

      Delete
  2. My favorite sunscreen, hands down, is the Neutrogena UltraSheer line. It disappears on my skin, wears well under just about anything, and works wonders.

    Good on you for doing what makes you comfortable! I love makeup, but though I don't wear it much, so I look at performing as a chance to have fun with it. But that's because it brings me joy. If it ever stopped being fun, I don't know if I'd have the guts to stop wearing it tbh. I think it's GREAT that you do, and are willing to talk about it openly. Dudes don't feel pressured to wear makeup to perform. We need to stop teaching girls that they have to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RIGHT!! Exactly all of what you just said. That!

      Thank you for the rec too. Ages ago I wore a neutogena sunscreen that I liked okay, I'm not sure what line it was. I'll check out the ultra sheer variety, it sounds like what I'm looking for.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. I think you look just as awesome with no makeup. How you feel is what is important. Your act is fantastic and no makeup is not going to distract us viewers from loving to watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kindness and support Mary Lee, that's really nice of you! I'm not sure why it was such a hurdle for me, but now that I've cleared it I'm just happy to be on the other side!

      Delete
  4. I gave up on makeup like 8 years ago. Actually, I feel bad about it too, because my mom keeps buying me stuff and I just don't use it. On a very rare occasion where Rob and I go on a date, maybe. But even I went to a wedding recently and didn't wear so much as a gloss. Not worth my time, nor my energy. Plus the kids just get into it and destroy it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you! Coming around to this line of thinking has been really nice for me. Glad you figured it out before I did!!

      Delete
  5. Hi Jana! Love your video! Thanks for sharing! I stopped wearing foundation completely when I started using Elta MD SkinCare UV Physical Broad Spectrum SPF 41 Lightly Tinted. Occasionally, I will use a little powder over it on a hot day. Or sometimes just the sunscreen and a little blush. But other than that it goes on light and my skin feels moisturized. I’m not doing shows anymore so I cannot speak to that piece these days, but I love it for everyday. Not sure the link will work, but here it is in case you want to check it out:
    https://www.dermstore.com/product_UV+Physical+Broad+Spectrum+SPF+41+Sunscreen++Tinted_11541.htm?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2ejklfT-3AIVXbjACh0-MArsEAAYASACEgL6YvD_BwE&utm_source=google_mobile&utm_medium=paid_search&utm_term=eltamd+-+uv+physical+spf+41+-+sl&utm_campaign=500300

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Above message from Amy Riccio (not sure why it didn’t pick up)

      Delete
    2. Thank you Amy, I will totally check it out! It sounds really good... lightweight, high spf, and tinted! That's what I'm looking for.

      Delete
  6. I use Hawaiian Tropic Island sport ultra light. Love it ❤ can't even tell its on. I'm not a big fan of makeup anymore used to be. Now its just a chore. Love being makeup free. Glad you found what works for you and your going with it. Also love your hair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! I love the smell of Hawaiian tropic. It smells like vacation! I use their chapstick because it has SPF 45, but I haven't purchased their sunscreen in years. Perhaps its time to give it another try.

      Delete
  7. Hi Jana, I am a consultant for Perfectly Posh and we carry a Broad Spectrum SPF30 Face Creme. it is Awesome its called Block it Like its Hot. You can check out my site @ https://AprilLanning.po.sh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello April! Thank you for letting me know, I'll check it out.

      Delete
  8. Jana, you're a beautiful person!! My mom was a cookout consultant who loved make up. She had such an amazing pallet too play with. As I grew up, I wouldn't leave the house without the full treatment: foundation, blush, eye liner, mascara, lip liner, lipstick, eye shadows (always plural), and powder. Then I met a wonderful man who thought I was pretty and asked me why I hid behind all the goop. Over the course of a year, or two, I graduat gradually put away the trowel. We've been married for 26 years and I don't think I've put on makeup other than some mineral powder in the last decade. My skin is happy. I'm happy. My hubby is happy. If other people don't like it, then they can exercise their imaginations to envision me in makeup. Or not. It's their issue, not mine.
    Love you! Love the show! Hugs to you, Dexter, and the girls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CKA in Virginia, Wow, that's a wonderful story, thank you for taking the time to share it with me! I love that your husband was the impetus to try out the no make up look, that's awesome! Dextre is always supportive of all my decision. I'm so lucky. Hugs right back at ya!!

      Delete
  9. Hi Jana! I love you no matter what you wear on your face! I’m glad smeone else I know that has never been great at putting makeup on. I rarely wear it when I’m not going anywhere. Naked eyes and face! I can never seem to remember to put color on my lips! Lol. I too use the Neutrogena Ultra Sheer. I no longer care what people think of the way I look, dress or act! It’s so refreshing! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love you too! And the less I care about what other people think the happier I am. It's been slow steps, but it's been great. You chose the right word for it... Refreshing!!

      Delete