Thursday, November 21, 2019

The Most Frequently Asked Question: WHAT do we DO during the week?

When working at Renaissance Festivals, this is the question we get most often. You'd think we'd be pretty good at answering, but somehow the details are always murky. Every week is different. But one thing we are *for sure* doing every day is walking the dogs.



We have six dogs. At minimum they each need three bathroom breaks, so you're looking at 18 walks just for the potty. That doesn't include exercise, which our dogs love. This hands free bungee leash is my absolute favorite for our walks. If the dog pulls, like Mabel usually does, the force hits my hips where I'm stable instead of jerking my arm. It's been a lifesaver. A lot of our time goes to keeping our dogs happy and healthy, which is great because it's good for us too.



Dextre devotes even more time to dogs because he's also responsible for training them for the show, and he's studying to become a certified dog trainer to help other people with their pets. So Dextre is all dogs all the time... when he isn't juggling. Because Dextre also belongs to three juggling clubs at home in NC, and multiple others while we're on the road.

What else? Working out. We both like regular exercise as it makes the show easier and is generally great for our bodies. Dextre is a 24hr key-card gym sort of guy, but I prefer a coached class. While on tour for six months of the year I do CrossFit, and when at home I workout at a personal training studio where I also work as a trainer. I got my certification back in 2015 and have been coaching ever since. If you're wondering, that means yes, I do get paid to tell people to do burpees. So do some burpees! You're welcome.

My coworkers at the gym, Mike and Mike. 

Loads of boring things have to happen each week. I'm sure you're familiar. Grocery shopping, cleaning, bills, laundry. Hold up. Laundry. When you tour in a trailer, doing the laundry is an event. There's no throwing a load into the washer while you eat dinner, nope. You have to put on pants, collect your things, get into a car and drive to a place to do laundry each week. And I'm not sure if you know this, but it's like a zoning law that all laundromats have to be next to a Subway. So yeah, get a sandwich, and try to resist whatever delicious seasonal cookie they're offering while you're at it. (Pro-tip: The caramel apple cookies they have in the fall are TO DIE FOR.)

I'm sure you were hoping for exciting stuff when you asked, what do the Circus Stella acrobats do with their free time, but I have another boring one for you. We have to work quite a bit during the week to keep the show on the road. Prop maintenance, car/trailer maintenance, insurance certificates, contract negotiations, marketing, promo, event proposals... all that happens when we're not doing shows.

We let Mabel keep the books.

When I do have free time I like to write. And both Dextre and I love to read. We go through hundreds of kindle books in a year between us.

Would anyone like a book rec post? Because that might be hella more interesting than what we do with ourselves during the week. Say the word in the comments, and I'm on it!


Please keep Circus Stella in mind when you shop on Amazon. If you click through using any of our links, a small percentage of you purchase will get kicked back our way at no cost to you! You don't need to buy what we link to, though you might need this, you can navigate away and do your ordinary shopping. Thanks friends!



Keep in touch with Circus Stella;  YoutubeInstagramFacebook, & Twitter.


Disclosure; This blog is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment